LATE APPLICANTS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR A PARTIAL SUMMER POSITION!
Naturalist / Environmental Educator
Friends of Camp Mather (FoCM) is hiring a Naturalist / Environmental Educator for San Francisco's Camp Mather.
This is a seasonal contract position. The naturalist will work for 10 weeks over the course of the summer 2006 and possibly 2 weeks in fall 2006. Position officially begins the week of June 10 and ends August 19, with orientation beginning June 3. Fall weeks are in September.
Naturalist will develop and lead 1-2 sessions a day for 5 days a week. Sessions will be geared to different age groups. The naturalist is encouraged to develop their own educational program and present their ideas for review.
The applicant should have the following skills:
* Strong natural history skills, particarly of the flora and fauna of the Sierra Nevada. Personal knowledge of the area around Hetch-Hetchy reservoir is preferred.
* Knowledge of Native American history of the area.
* Knowledge of the history of Hetch-Hetchy.
* Experience in environmental education with all age groups. Applicant will have experience leading groups of children and adults.
* Experience working with diverse cultural and socio-economic groups.
* Experience in environmental education program development.
* Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
In addition, naturalist will provide extra duties to San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department at the direction of the Camp Manager in exchange for room and board. These duties may include, but not be limited to, help in renovating Camp Mather's natural history museum.
Camp Mather is situated at the northern entrance to Yosemite, near Hetch-Hetchy reservoir. Mostly San Francisco residents attend the recreational camp for 1 week/year. Campers reflect the economic, social, ethnic and cultural diversity of San Francisco. FoCM is a non-profit dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of the city-owned camp. The applicant will provide their own transportation to and from camp. The total stipend is $150 - $200 per week for 10 weeks, depending on experience, plus room and board. FoCM is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume and cover letter to Lisa DiGirolamo at firstname.lastname@example.org.